I have been trying to understand birthdays for a few years now. I have watched Sam's so that I can maybe establish a pattern.
For his first birthday, a bunch of people came over and generally got in the way. I concluded that birthdays are a nuisance where annoying people are invited to your house to take up space and leave a mess. For Sam's second birthday, Jen and Josh did nothing. I concluded that birthdays are maybe also about neglect and perhaps punishment and unpredictability. Will the annoying people be back, or will we just pretend like you were never born? Then, for this third birthday, I think I finally get it. I conclude that Sam's second birthday was an anomaly born out of Jen's laziness. The first and third establish a clear pattern.
Birthdays are about noise. You need to make as much aggravating sound as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment