07 August 2011

Frisbees and Freedom


A lot of what we cats do is anarchic. We don't believe in borders or property, really. I see humans putting up fences and demarcating what is "theirs." I don't see the point and find limiting freedom quite un-American. I regularly visit Leslie's yard and Janice's; sometimes I even hop the fence and see what's on the other side of our yard. Jen and Josh don't even know the neighbors behind them. All these artificial boundaries make humans unfriendly and distrusting.
Sam was playing with Cousin Jinny a couple weeks ago and the frisbee went over the fence. I said that Jen should just go get it - hop the fence, walk into the backyard without asking, do something unlimited and uninhibited like that. But nooooo. Jen waited a couple of weeks and then knocked on the door with Sam in tow. Not only did the "neighbors" not give the frisbee back, but the lady that Jen saw inside the house didn't even come to the door. Maybe I am just used to the way Jen and Sam look so I don't find them intimidating or scary, but I have a feeling that most humans also see them the way I do.
So now what will Jen do? I think the fence is too high for her, and Sam has been slacking on his fence-hopping skills, so he probably won't go either. I think that relegates Jen to leaving a note. Uhhhhhh, so passive. So un-American.

No comments: